Sheba Nandkeolyar – Chair for Women in Business Chapter
Sheba is Australia’s leading global marketer, who truly believes in the benefits of globalization and a borderless economy. As a businesswoman, she has actively advocated for Australian businesses to open up and embrace globalization.
An MBA in Marketing & Finance, Sheba Nandkeolyar has been a longstanding AIBC member, since 2000. Since 2012, Sheba has actively contributed as a board member of AIBC to facilitating bilateral trade and business links between Australia and India through her various roles:
- President of AIBC NSW (2012-2013)
- National Vice-Chair of AIBC (2014-2016)
- National Chair of AIBC (2016-2018)
- AIBC National Chair of Women in Business (current)
Sheba has been at the forefront in organizing Trade Missions to and from India and other Asian countries. She has actively contributed to FTA / CECA inputs and has been advising Prime Ministers, Premiers, Ministers and Government officials on trade & business matters pertaining to India. Sheba was invited by former Prime Minister of Australia Hon Tony Abbott for the CEO delegation, which he led to India to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Sheba was actively involved in hosting Prime Minister Modi for an AIBC business leaders’ event.
Sheba was AIBC’s first female National Chair and hopes this will inspire more women to come into the bilateral business world. She is passionate about developing the notion of 50:50 in business and is keen to encourage more start-ups led by women or owned by women in the bilateral business and trade space.
Sheba co-founded Australia’s leading multicultural and diaspora communication and marketing company – MultiConnexions. MultiConnexions is today Australia’s largest independent company in the industry. In 2018, Sheba founded Global Connexions, part of MultiConnexions Group, which delivers cross-border business and cross-cultural consultancy to Australian companies working with Asia. The company also selectively represents business groups from Asia in Australia and offers exclusive marketing and distribution rights for Asia for companies interested in expanding to Asia.
Leadership & Career
Sheba’s board positions include:
- Board member of the Australia India Council
- Board Member of International Advertising Association – Australia Chapter (IAA) – Headquartered in New York, USA
- Trustee and Board Member, Follow Your Dreams Foundation
Sheba’s industry experience includes task force/ reference group contributions:
- An India Economic Strategy to 2035 (IES2035) Navigating from Potential to Delivery – a report to the Australian Government by Mr Peter N Varghese, AO
- Diversity Council of Australia – Capitalising on Culture Amongst Business Leaders: An ASX Survey – a study focused on Cultural Diversity among top 200 ASX Business Leaders.
- Diversity Council of Australia – Cracking the Glass-Cultural Ceiling: Future Proofing Your Business in the 21st Century – a study focused on building culturally diverse and gender balanced leadership profiles
- Education Task Force Member – NSW Government
- Tourism Task Force Member – NSW Government
- Founding Chair of the Multicultural Committee of the Communications Council of Australia (formerly Advertising Federation of Australia)
- Former member of the NSW Asia Business Council (set up by the former Premier of NSW) for 3 years from 2008 – 2011
- Former member of the Marketing SIG committee of Australia Institute of Management.
Sheba was awarded the IAA Inspire Champion Award – an International Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence in Global Communications by the International Advertising Association in May 2015 in London; the only awardee from Australia that year and to date.
Sheba has been regularly awarded with industry recognition and awards in Australia, India and internationally, some of which are listed below:
- GOPIO Business Woman of the Year 2013
- UIA Excellence in Business
- Role Model for South Asian Community, by Rabitah
- The Arch of Excellence for the `Best Entrepreneur’ category by Government of India, prior to migrating to Australia.
- The EFFIE GOLD (the most coveted award in the Advertising industry)
- International advertising awards including the recent IAA Inspire Champion Award, CLIO & DILO (USA), and Gold at CANNES.
As a Trustee & Board Member of The Follow Your Dreams Foundation (A Lions International initiative), Sheba is involved in projects to uplift women and children in Australia, India and China. She also supports The Salvation Army and The Dine for a Cure charity.
Sheba loves mentoring young people and is a regular speaker at industry conferences, client offsite planning meetings, at universities and the Australian School of Business.
Sheba Nandkeolyar – selected interviews on the Australia-India relationship:
- Ticky Fullerton Sky Business News Interview on trade with India
- Sheba on India emerging as Asian powerhouse- SkyNews Australia, Nov 2014
- ABC Radio National Breakfast- Sheba Nandkeolyar on Indian Prime Minister, Mr. Narendra Modi’s visit to Australia
- Sheba Nandkeolyar interviews Biocon Founder, Kiran Mazumdar Shaw on International Women’s Day, 2015
- ABC Bill Birtles on stepped up links with India
- Asialink – Australia-India Comprehensive Economic Cooperation